Friday, October 1, 2010

34 weeks and spent the night at the hospital...

Thursday afternoon, Jason and I had planned to leave right after work to head to a wedding/reunion of friends in South Carolina. I had been given permission to travel as long as I got out and stretched.
So, I rushed straight home from school to load up our car and head to S.C., but when I went to the bathroom, I noticed some blood. I hadn't seen that at all the entire pregnancy, so this worried me. Jason called the doctor and I had to go in to be checked. (While we were still at home waiting for a call back from the doctor, I was laying down and Jason came over and prayed. My mind was racing a bit and I wondered when the last time I'd felt our baby kick was. But, just then, while Jason was praying and rubbing my belly, that sweet baby boy kicked! God is so good! I felt immediate peace!)
At the hospital, a few tests were run. I wasn't dilated. My blood work all came back fine except for a blood clot test. So, because of that and the fact that I was having slight contractions, the doctor wanted to monitor me overnight. Throughout the night I was taking medicine to calm the contractions down. Meanwhile, everyone was saying the baby's heart rate and movements were wonderful.
This morning they did the blood work again and the blood clot test had improved so I was discharged. The doctor said that the bleeding and minor contractions was indicative of my placenta tearing away a little from the uterus--and it had to have been minor due to the amount of blood. But, since there was no further bleeding, that indicated it stopped. So, I don't need bed rest, but just to rest. My doctor is known for being pretty conservative, so I'm trusting that just plain rest is okay and back to work Monday is fine. I'm going to keep taking the medicine to keep contractions down until I go back Tuesday for a check-up and ultrasound. As for the reason for all of this, no one knows. It could be stress with work full time and grad school at night--so many people do it, but I've learned it isn't easy.
We both feel that the Lord gave us sweet reminders of His care and love for us in this: the baby kicking as soon as I was worried, a beautiful heart beat on the monitor at the hospital, the fact that we were not already on the road to S.C., insurance to have this time at the hospital and be monitored all night. We are blessed with this baby and extremely blessed by our Heavenly Father's love and protection.
What a whirlwind! So, change of plans for me--I'm not getting to go to the wedding. However, I am making Jason go so he can have this rare time with our dear friends. Here's to a rest-filled weekend! Hope you all have good ones!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

So scary! Glad everything is okay! Enjoy a relaxing, restful weekend!! I wish we were closer to bring by some magazines and some dinner!